Self Care Conference 2012
The Annual Self Care Conference was held in central London on 8th November 2012 with the theme “mission impossible”.
The aim of the conference was to stimulate debate on whether it is an impossible task to change how the NHS and health professionals promote self care; and whether patients have sufficient confidence to make the change towards self care, whether it is to manage their everyday health problems like coughs and colds, or to care for long-term health conditions as we age. Expert speakers shared their views on what needs to change to make self care happen.
The presentations are available to download below and Norman Lamb MP’s opening speech can be viewed on You Tube:
- Paul Johnson, Insitute of Fiscal Studies: Rising to the NHS Financial Challenge: outlook to 2021/2
- Gopa Mitra, PAGB and Self Care Forum member: The challenge – minor ailments
- Dr Knut Schroeder, Concord Medical Practice and Self Care Forum member: The challenge – minor ailments
- Dr Peter Smith, National Association of Primary Care and Self Care Forum member: The challenge – primary care
- Dr Simon Fradd, GP Clinical Lead in Southwark and Self Care Forum member: The challenge – education
- Professor David Haslam’s motion on ‘Has modern medicine infantilised us?’
- Stephanie Varah, Chief Executive, National Association for Patient Participation (N.A.P.P)’, statement on ‘Has modern medicine infantilised us?’
- Angela Hawley, Department of Health and Self Care Forum member: Technology can facilitate patient self care balance
- Dr David Wrigley, Lancahire North CCG: CCGs can endorse and embed self care
- Linda Bracewell, Baxenden Pharmacy: Pharmacy can support the first steps to self care
- Dr Beth McCarron-Nash, BMA’s GPC: The Self Care mission: self care for life
Self Care Conference 2011
The 12th Annual Self-Care Conference took place 8 November, RIBA, London, 9.30am – 4.30pm. It was hosted jointly by PAGB, the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP), Royal College of Nursing (RCN) and National Association for Patient Participation (NAPP).
Download theÂ delegate booklet for the agenda, speaker profiles and attendees.
Download the official report of the conference.
Mike Farrar CBE, chief executive, NHS Confederation spoke via video link. To watch the video please click here.
The 12th Annual Self-Care Conference took place on 8th November 2011 on the theme of ‘Behavioural change for better health, better care and better services’. This video clip shows the highlights from the event.
Paul Burstow MP, Minister for Care Services, opened the 12th Annual Self-Care Conference and used his speech to launch Self Care Week 2011.
Stephanie Varah, CEO of the National Association of Patient Participation (NAPP), launched a NAPP project to support practices in providing self-care support to patients.
The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) launched the e-learning module ‘Supporting self-care for minor ailments’.
Members of the Self Care Forum discuss the Forum’s current work programme and next steps.
Download speaker presentations from the day by clicking on the names below.