Save our NHS: Time for Action on Self Care
In order to save the NHS for future generations we have launched a resource pack to help general practitioners and Commissioners adopt a cohesive self care strategy. The document, entitled Save our NHS: Time for Action on Self Care is a mandate which provides a self care action plan for the NHS, supplemented with a ‘How to’ guide .
The Save our NHS: Time for Action on Self Care mandate advocates a whole systems approach across the NHS to empower patients to self care in a supportive environment. To enable this to happen in practice, a six-point blueprint has been developed.
- Recognise that supporting self care can create capacity in general practice for longer consultations
- For all healthcare professionals to support self care behaviour at every contact
- Adopt a self care aware conversation in all consultations
- Implement the NHS Constitution at practice level to underpin support for self care
- Support Patient Participation Groups to implement the National Association of Patient Participation programme supporting self care for the practice population
- Encourage healthcare professionals to enable patients to self care by developing national and local incentive schemes.
Dr Beth McCarron-Nash, General Practitioner Committee negotiator and GP at Lander Medical Practice, Truro, explains why self care is critical to saving the NHS, and why the time to act is now: